Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kale Chips (VG)

I'm becoming a veggie person because I really have no other choice. But either my mind is playing tricks on me, or I really am starting to like them, because every veggie I have tried I have really, actually enjoyed. And I don't even care what the reasoning behind it is, I'll take it!

Regardless, I was very skeptical of the idea of kale chips. I thought, this is something people eat when they are trying to lose weight and convince themselves that it tastes good. This is not something people want to eat, let alone choose to eat.

Well, guess what, they taste f'in ridiculous. You all already think I'm drinking the vegetarian kool-aide, but seriously. And I don't want to always use Jeff as my evidence of proof, but I wish I had a picture of him standing over the stove, shoveling them into his mouth.

I also want to dispel some of what I have read on the Internet regarding their staying power. I have eaten the leftovers for lunch two days in a row, and they tasted just as good as they did on day one fresh out of the oven.

They are also the easiest thing I have ever made. I preheated the oven to 425. I used a bag of ready to cook kale from Trader Joe's, removed some of the lingering stems from the bag and the leaves, and dumped the rest onto a cookie sheet. I drizzles two or three tablespoons of olive oil over the kale, and used my McCormick garlic salt grinder to season it liberally. I also tossed on a few dashes of season salt.

I put the kale in the oven and kept a close eye on it. I left it in there about ten minutes until the leaves browned. Be very careful to monitor the kale as t cooks; I made another batch today and burned it because I left it in there a little too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment